Strategic Plan 2014 - 2017
The Centre for Nursing Studies will deliver a continuum of nursing education programs that prepares highly competent practitioners and leaders through a commitment to excellence in teaching, practice, research and other forms of scholarship.
To enhance excellence and leadership in nursing education, innovation, partnerships, research and other forms of scholarship.
Collaboration is the guiding principle in our approach to education, research and other forms of scholarship, practice, and international development.
We respect diversity and foster inclusion among students, faculty, staff, and partners.
Excellence is a means of assuring we prepare the highest quality practitioners and leaders.
We embody professionalism through continuous learning and the highest standards of integrity, ethical behaviour, accountability, and transparency.
Respect is the foundation of all our interactions.
Strategic Direction 1: Prepare High Quality Practitioners and Leaders
The focus of this strategic direction is to ensure the CNS continues to provide students with exceptional classroom, lab and clinical learning experiences.
- Foster a learning environment that empowers students to be self-directed and engaged partners
- Ensure innovative and appropriate classroom and clinical experiences
- Increase the use of innovative technology to enhance student learning
- Utilize innovative teaching approaches including interprofessional education
- Develop curricula that encourages student engagement and self-direction
- Deliver ongoing faculty development, including mentorship
- Maximize appropriate use of technology (e.g., high fidelity simulation) in the classroom, instructional labs, and clinical settings.
- Provide opportunities to support faculty research and other forms of scholarship, including dissemination
- Utilize real life clinical scenarios in classroom and lab settings
- Establish and maintain strong partnerships with stakeholders for all learning experiences
- Solicit and utilize feedback from students and other key stakeholders to continuously improve our curricula
- Continue to support student engagement in school committees and community initiatives
- Continuously review recruitment and retention strategies for faculty, staff and students
- Ensure a highly qualified and committed cohort of faculty
Strategic Direction 2: Promote Research and Other Forms of Scholarship
The focus of this strategic direction is to enhance faculty and academic staff involvement in all domains of scholarship.
- Foster a strong research culture within the CNS
- Develop processes to support increased faculty and academic staff participation in research and other forms of scholarship
- Enhance partnerships with individuals, groups and organizations that advance research and other forms of scholarship
- Create a supportive environment that maximizes the potential of faculty members for research and other forms of scholarship
- Promote professional development activities such as structured education sessions regarding writing grant proposals and innovations in teaching
- Support peer review committee work to promote research and other forms of scholarship
- Explore the continued expansion of services offered by the CNS Research Office
- Support faculty doctoral studies
- Offer funding for dissemination of research and other forms of scholarship
- Encourage a strong CNS presence at all local forums for the presentation of research, teaching innovation and other forms of scholarship
- Offer the opportunity for the presentation of research, teaching innovation and other forms of scholarship to faculty, staff and students
- Support the Collaborative Research Committee to increase teamwork and research excellence
- Support the collaborative research newsletter to highlight research opportunities across the three schools of nursing and the dissemination of research
- Maintain announcements of faculty and academic staff accomplishments related to research and other forms of scholarship
- Strengthen innovations in teaching
- Begin a CNS Research Day for all faculty, staff, and students
- Continue protected time for research and other forms of scholarship
- Ensure up to date technology to support research and other forms of scholarship
- Develop stronger linkages with the Reference Librarian to support research, teaching innovation and other forms of scholarship
- Establish peer mentoring opportunities for new faculty and academic staff to support their beginning program of research and other forms of scholarship
- Strengthen peer mentoring opportunities to participate in collaborative research and other forms of scholarship
- Network with faculty who have existing partnerships for research and other forms of scholarship
- Seek increased partnerships with clinical practitioners and individuals, groups, and organizations in the community
Strategic Direction 3: Promote Our Distinct Identity
The focus of this strategic direction is to enhance awareness of the CNS’s distinct identity including our continuum of programs and innovative initiatives to advance nursing education, practice, research and other forms of scholarship.
- Continue to define and construct our distinct identity
- Develop and implement a marketing and communications plan
- Enhance partnerships with other nursing educational institutions, government, regional health authorities, regulators, and community partners
- Continue to support and expand international activities
- Create a marketing and communications plan that highlights our unique continuum of nursing education programs and nursing practice support to regional health authorities and regulators
- Promote our reputation as a supportive environment for students, faculty and staff that is based on mutual respect and which fosters a sense of team and community
- Maintain an up to date and engaging CNS website
- Increase CNS visibility through various means such as participating in community initiatives
- Create a CNS Alumni Association
- Promote our identity and capacity for international activities and opportunities for students, faculty and staff
- Promote CNS programs, research and other forms of scholarship in relevant newsletters
- Continue to explore new opportunities to promote CNS as an excellent educational institution for prospective students, faculty and staff
- Continue to utilize Eastern Health social media to promote the CNS
- Explore all strategies with Eastern Health to sustain a stable and highly qualified workforce
- Promote faculty portability within Eastern Health to enhance our faculty members’ clinical expertise, partnerships with practice, research and other forms of scholarship.